Health and hygiene in workplaces must always be maintained to high standards. This type of maintenance concerns the preservation of health of yourself and your coworkers. When providing first aid assistance, security and emergency services officers need to be aware of the risks to both the victim and themselves.
The following steps are considerations one should take into account when administering First Aid as well as generally around the workplace.
- Maintain Vaccinations – Certain occupations have the potential to be at increased risk of exposure to some vaccine-preventable diseases if they are not protected by immunity derived from past infection. Health care workers, First Aid officers and Emergency Service officers all work in higher risk situations of coming into contact with these diseases.
- Stock & Sterilisation – Keep stock of all required First Aid equipment. Replenish once it is used and ensure it is stored appropriately and hygienically.
- Personal Hygiene and safety – When treating, you must maintain your own personal hygiene as well as caring for that of the victim. This may involve using protective clothing such as gloves and facemasks to avoid cross infection.
- Clean up spills – Minimise blood spills and clean up any hazardous spills as soon as possible.
- Protect victim from environment – Shelter open wounds from dangerous or dirty workplace environments.
- Clean up – Clean up any bodily fluids or hazardous spills from the site of treatment. Dispose of any hazardous waste.
- Personal Hygiene and safety – Maintain personal hygiene after treating the victim by washing hands thoroughly or even showering if necessary.
- Re-stock equipment used – Note any First Aid equipment used and replenish immediately. Sterilise anything if required.
Maintain the First Aid skills of your workplace by planning regular First Aid training for your workers.
Diamond Protection Pty Ltd (Diamond) is a leading provider of security, emergency and training services. Established in 1995, this Australian owned and operated company is committed to leading the way – to be the standard of excellence. Diamond operates an internationally certified Integrated Management System (IMS) incorporating ISO accreditation for Quality (ISO 9001:2008), Occupational Health & Safety (AS/NZS 4801 & OHSAS18001:2007) and Environmental Management (ISO 14001:2004) Systems. The company has placed significant importance in continual improvement and commitment to the community and environment.
Diamond works closely with clients throughout Australia and beyond to provide security audits, security guards / officers, patrols, risk management, emergency service officers, safety officers, life support and nationally recognised training courses in partnership with Australian government and private Registered Training Organisations.
Visit our website at www.diamondprotection.com, call our team on 1300 669 155 or email: email@example.com to outline your specific requirements.